ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far!

+4
Eric
midge tip
appetiser
Ian Alexander
8 posters

Go down

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! Empty Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far!

Post by Ian Alexander Thu May 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello,
A day off for me today and a chance to fish Sweethope for the first time. I've heard allsorts of good reports about the place but haven't had the chance to visit.

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! 003-14_zps29644c03

I arrived bright and early with nobody else there, it was cold too....4degrees. I've only fished the smaller stillwaters and was a bit put off by the size of the big lake, I was starting to wish I'd brought a beachcaster!! (only joking).

I signed the book and headed off to fish where I thoght I saw a fish as I drove along the approach road. An hour later and my anticipation had worn off a bit.....not a touch and I was freezing, especialy my right leg as I'd found a new hole in my waders and my leg was full of water.

Properly disheartened I moved to the smaller lake after a quick cuppa to cheer things up. A couple more anglers came along and we had a good chat but they too were struggling. I couldn't see any movement or fly activity a another hour or so went by without a bite.

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! 008-8_zps379a1514

I decided to change things up a bit so off with the floater and on with the intermediate and a cats whisker variant that I've done well with in the past. Half an hour or so passed trying different spots untill I managed a nice Rainbow of 3lbs...."phew" blank off and a bit more confidence.

A few more lads stopped to chat and I was relieved to hear that they were struggling too, at least it wasn't just me!

I moved a bit further round towards the cottage and I was busy watching the anglers who were now fishing the opposite bank when It felt as though someone had whacked my line with a stick! My little 6wt rod took on an a healthy bend and I had to give some line as the fish made a slow deep run. A bit more of this and the fish swam towards me and I had to gain line sharpish to keep the tension, the fish came to the surface and showed itself and I knew this was my best fish so far. After a few more anxious moments and a trip along the bank I slid the net under it.

I had a minute or so before I continued fishing, but after only a few more casts I just had to weigh it......9lb 2oz...what a lovely fish.

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! 010-10_zps02474770

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! 017-1_zps84adc31a

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! 016-5_zpsdcf82acc

I fished on for a while but soon had to get off home with no more fish but still over the moon, even more so considering what a poor start I had.

Thanks for reading fellas, I hope you liked my photos Smile

Regards Ian

Ian Alexander

Back to top Go down

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! Empty Re: Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far!

Post by appetiser Thu May 02, 2013 10:16 pm

nice report ian , well done on the biggie , first of many trips up there i bet ,
appetiser
appetiser

Back to top Go down

Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far! Empty Re: Sweethope Today, My Best Fish So Far!

Post by midge tip Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Good angling well deserved for persevering looks like a cortland blue on the hardy rod Smile

jim
midge tip
midge tip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 pm

lovely fish Ian, well done, good report Smile
Eric
Eric

Back to top Go down

Post by megaflies Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 pm

nice catch, bet it'll be the best tasting rainbow you ever get to eat Laughing
megaflies
megaflies
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazkat Fri May 03, 2013 12:32 am

Great report Ian. Fantastic looking fish.
Dazkat
Dazkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shipman Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Great report Ian, nice to have a few pictures in a report. You should try the boat on the big lake and just drift about, you will be amazed at how many fish are moving out in the middle of the lake.
Shipman
Shipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm

excellent result mate well done , love the report with the pictures .
Topcat
Topcat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down