ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Nith 9th Feb

Go down

River Nith 9th Feb Empty River Nith 9th Feb

Post by westcoaster Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 am

Went down the Nith yesterday with my mates Bob and Joe again keeping me company.The river height had looked to be fine on Friday when checked but the snow melt overnight had raised the levels and during the day the height increased.A challenging day was on the cards.Bob was off and fishing first,soon followed by Joe.By the time i got on the water Bob had already had one run down the pool with no joy,now if Bob ain`t catchin then you know its gona be a tough day.Joe was first to get a fish to the bank and soon followed it up with a nice grayling at around 2lb.I was halfway down the run when i got a dip on the indicator and had my first of the day to the bank,a grayling of about 1lb.We were fishing the Doctor`s Pool which is on the middle beat of the Drumlanrig Estate and is usually the place to be if after grayling.I moved down to a faster stretch and after a few minutes lifted into what felt a good fish,Bob came down to see the fight and when banked it was my best grayling to date at over 2lb.A pink bug had got both of my fish so far today,fish number 3 was taken from the same spot soon after,this time on a wee hares lug bug.Bob still had`nt caught anything which was`nt like him but he soon put it right with a fish from the Doctor`s Pool. Nothing much was happening after this and Bob went upstream to fish a few other stretches,myself and Joe had a couple of fish on and off but it was`nt happening.Took a walk up to find Bob and he had dropped a fish but the rising water was making most of the lies unfishable.We went into nice looking stretch with Bob going first down.I was finding my flies were`nt heavy enough to get down so changed the point fly to tungsten bodied shrimp,the result was 4th grayling of the day and dropped one right after this.Bob had been down the run but came in at the back of me and he soon had a fish as well.Joe came up to join us but we never took anything else and we all went down to the Doctor`s Pool for the last hour or so.Nothing else for Joe and me but Bob showed his class and pulled out a few more grayling just before darkness put an end to the day.Hopefully a dry week and we might get another go on the Nith next Sunday. Smile

westcoaster

Back to top Go down