ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nith Weekender

2 posters

Go down

Nith Weekender Empty Nith Weekender

Post by westcoaster Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Spent both days at the weekend down at Drumlanrig fishing the river Nith.Saturday i went down on my own and there was only one other rod on with me.Both of us had the same thoughts that the river was still a tad dirty but dropping.The other lad went with a trotting setup for the day and i was on a bugging setup.I had a heavy cased caddis on the point,pink bug on the middle dropper and a killer bug on top.Had a couple of sea trout at the start of the run but no sign of any grayling.A right heavy shower of rain/snow n sleet fell and i was thinking it was on for the day.Happily it stopped and the temperatures rose and finally the grayling started to come my way.First up was vitim to the pink bug,maybe just under a 1lb,good start to the day!The second grayling of the day soon followed and again it was the pink bug doing the job,this one was a right cracker,bordering on the 2lb mark.Now i was reaching the end of the Doctors Pool and just at the end i got another,the first one to come to the top dropper of killer bug.By this point i had replaced the heavy cased caddis with a lighter jib back nymph.The lad Alan that was trotting had took a nice one and dropper another.I went up to the top of the beat a walk,first thing i saw was a large salmon kelt lying close into the bank,it was well into double figures and shot off as soon as it felt my presence.The water was running fast up there so went heavy again on the point with tungsten shrimp on the point.Had one grayling of just under a 1lb again on the killer bug.It was now into the afternoon and i fancied one more run down the doctors pool before calling it a day.Almost straight away i got my biggest grayling of the day and probably the biggest i`ve caught at all.A good healthy 2lb+.Fished down the pool but did`nt get anymore till right at the end,a nice fish to end the day.Chatting to Alan we both thought Sunday would be just perfect,so i was well looking forward to the following day!
Sunday i was down with my mate Bob and his wife Eileen.It was a lot colder and the roads were slippy as hell.As i thought the river had cleared but still had slight tinge and had dropped by about 10 inch.Again i went with the bugging setup,the other 2 were fishing the indicator. First joy came to Bob who had a small grayling and a trout.I was last down the run and had went nearly all the way down with not a single touch.The confidence from the day before was starting to dissapear!I lifted the rod to cast a little bit further out when i realised i had a thumb sized grayling on.A pheasant tail nymph tookit and another 1 on the next cast.None of the good sized fish from the Saturday but at least the blank was off!One more small grayling before lunchmthis time on the pink bug.A walk we all went up to the other end of the beat.Not a sausage but at least my feet had a bit of heat.The last part of the afternoon was spent back in the Doctors Pool but the fishing had`nt got any easier.Eileen finally got a fish and it was a cracker,the only decent one of the day which she soon followed with another but a not as big as her previous.Bob was`nt getting anythin,which is most unlike him.Nearly time to call it a day and i got a graying at he end of the run,maybe about half a pound,on the pink bug.Well it was a good weekend all in,though it just shows you never can predict what the fish will be up to!

westcoaster

Back to top Go down

Nith Weekender Empty Re: Nith Weekender

Post by Brad Mackie Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Nice report andy!
Brad Mackie
Brad Mackie

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum