ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Targeting Stillwater Browns

+3
Blackgnat
welly2911
Ian Alexander
7 posters

Go down

Targeting Stillwater Browns Empty Targeting Stillwater Browns

Post by Ian Alexander Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Hello,
When I've been fishing stillwaters I've observed big brownies cruising in the margins......some of these are real whoppers, (I know that fish look bigger under water but the one I watched at Sharpley was very big, I also saw a big rainbow that would have made double figures without a doubt).

Now these brownies just cruise along and when I haven't scared them I've tried dropping my flies in front of them and even stripping my flies back in front of them but they just don't want to know. Now these fish are obviously very wary and it's more than likely that they have been caught a few times so how can you target them?
Do certain flies appeal more to big brownies? Do you have to use stalking bugs to drop in front of them? (maybe set up on another rod), or am I wasting my time?

Sorry for posting another question guys, I hope you don't mind.

Regards Ian

Ian Alexander

Back to top Go down

Targeting Stillwater Browns Empty Re: Targeting Stillwater Browns

Post by welly2911 Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Hello mate a friend of mine use to catch the ones at sharply on the doxy using tiny drys deffo worth a try but they not the easiest fish to catch I know that lol

welly2911

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Not familiar with Sharpley but white lures have always seemed to winkle out the stillwater browns for me.
A weighted damsel (or olive lure) can be useful too.

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm

ill second what welly says I took a 12lber out of westhouse a fort night ago on a small olive buzzer 18 inches under a foam beetle . the 20lber they put in 3 yrs ago only got caught once and died. to be honest I like watching them cruise the margins not bothered about catching big fish a good 3lber is enough
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazkat Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Go for something natural as that is what they are after. Drys beetles etc. also fry patterns late on.
Dazkat
Dazkat

Back to top Go down

Post by leetheboxer Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:28 am

i would say the same as lee on this, a buzzer has caught me the most browns on stillwaters but second would be a dry fly like a black gnat

leetheboxer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:34 am

I would not bother fishing for a brown trout in a little pond where you cant take it home anyway.
That poor fish is cruising the margins like a caged animal looking for any spare food left from the greedy rainbows.
Brown trout attract the angler. Why do you think all the adverts show a Brown Trout and not an obeast stockie.
Far better to go to one of the wild brown trout reservoirs of Teesdale  where them fish put weight on naturally and compete with others for their food in my opinion.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 am

"Caged animal" is going a bit far.
Having fished Teesdale (namely Cow Green) for many years including a good spot up there a fortnight ago- I would say that while it is wonderful its not for everyone due to their mobility, fitness and what they want from a days fishing.
One mans meat is another mans mutton.

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:44 am

Look what has happened when they have introduced rainbows into brown trout reservoirs or ponds the rainbows soon takeover.
Diffrent story if their is plenty of  natural food in the waters.
I was told many years ago while catching 9-10 inch fish on Balderhead that it was ok to take a few fish for the pot. The baliff told me there was too many wild browns and not enough food.
Balderhead and Selset are easier reservoirs to walk than Cow-Green. Selset can turn up the odd Rainbow Trout because it was stocked with big rainbows and Browns.
I always wonder why Kielder brown trout dont get much of a report. That could have been a great brown trout water.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:45 pm

I just felt the 'caged animal' comment was a bit sniffy about the fish mentioned in this post mate.

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Thing with browns they are very teretorial i used to be guaranteed to catch the same brown trout behind the same rock at Blackton.
My first fish was a Brown Trout caught in Billingham Beck. It snapped my line the first time lifting it out the water. I went back to the same spot a week later and caught the fish. It had my hook in its mouth.  Incidents like that are why i dont like 100% C/R .

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:48 pm

there a pod of big browns live under the foot bridge at ecgeleston dbt water tees river I never cast a fly at them but do have my lunch at the bridge when fishing up there
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:14 pm

On a river you can take a fish from that hot spot and another will take its place. The hard part is getting the big old thing out. Very wise fish thats why its grew big.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Alexander Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Hello lads,
thanks again for the advice, it' very much appreciated. I doubt if I'll get one but I agree with Lee it's just great watching these fish.

I have just finished my nights so I might have a look out to Chatton tomorrow morning.....I'm going to start taking two rods with me, one set up for buzzers and the other with dries.

Regards Ian

Ian Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 am

Why dont you try a big bushy fly like a Bibio on your top dropper with a couple of buzzers or wet flies on a three fly cast if its allowed.
I like fishing what i call Loch Style when fishing stillwaters.
Even on the river Wear i have a Bibio on the top dropper and a Peter Ross as my point fly.
Brown Trout love a fly with a bit of Red in the dressing.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down