ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Site days etiquette

4 posters

Go down

Site days etiquette  Empty Site days etiquette

Post by admin Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 pm

To set up a site day, takes a lot of time and effort by mostly TC and myself in telephone calls, posts, and polls which all take time, and money (OURS we do not tap into the site funds to pay for the numerous calls to fishery's) We would appreciate a little for warning if you cannot make it like what Seddo, Ronnie and Noel have done in the Langley site day thread, these are gentlemen and have behaved as such by letting us know.

If you put your name down as going on a site day then change your mind or cannot make it, let one of us know or post it on the thread that you are/ are not going to make it as soon as it is possible, we book the fishery for an amount of people, and some of those people do not let us know they are not going to turn up, it looks bad on the site (if it is an emergency which cannot be helped,) like last weeks trip to the river Tees, I could not go as my mum passed out and split her head open on Friday afternoon, then I spent the rest of the day and most of the night in the hospital, as well as on Saturday and Sunday, I still texted TC and let him know I would not be at the Tees on Saturday, I know Lee C and a couple of others were on the list to go also, this was a free river section, the only cost was the fuel in people getting there, so no harm done, did anyone go down?

A fishery however is another matter, but there will always be unforeseen circumstances which cannot be helped.

It Really annoys me, and others, as well as the fishery ( after all it is there lively hood) when people put there names down for site days, then we find out by other means that they have booked to go elsewhere but not informed us in any way or form. These will be the people who will maybe force some fishery's in the future to want paying in advance, rather than on the day, so they do not loose money from there pockets, in doing so eventually this will also kill of the site days not just for us but for other sites too.

admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.ukgameangler.com

Back to top Go down

Site days etiquette  Empty Re: Site days etiquette

Post by westcoaster Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 pm

Ian a point i would like to make on etiquette is hotspot hogging,nothing gets my anger up more than clubs etc hoarding pegs,spots etc.I was at a fishery recently where a club were on and holding a competition between themselves. The fishery in question has 30 odd pegs,the club had 14 members at most.The owner asked us if we would fish off odd number pegs and let the club use the evens,which we agreed to.Sadly the club saw us hitting into fish and when we went for a break all the members moved in and took all even and odd pegs,also never moved round like they were meant to the rest of the day.My point is that wether its members of this forum or just other anglers,if you get a few fish ask folk roundabout if they want a go in your spot or just move yourself.Fair enough if nobody is nearby or wants a go,fish on.A club i used to fish with had a 3 fish from a peg and move,worked well and we all used to catch a few fish.

westcoaster

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:55 pm

westcoaster wrote:Ian a point i would like to make on etiquette is hotspot hogging,nothing gets my anger up more than clubs etc hoarding pegs,spots etc.I was at a fishery recently where a club were on and holding a competition between themselves. The fishery in question has 30 odd pegs,the club had 14 members at most.The owner asked us if we would fish off odd number pegs and let the club use the evens,which we agreed to.Sadly the club saw us hitting into fish and when we went for a break all the members moved in and took all even and odd pegs,also never moved round like they were meant to the rest of the day.My point is that wether its members of this forum or just other anglers,if you get a few fish ask folk roundabout if they want a go in your spot or just move yourself.Fair enough if nobody is nearby or wants a go,fish on.A club i used to fish with had a 3 fish from a peg and move,worked well and we all used to catch a few fish.

Good post Andy, and I totally agree, I sometimes get into a spot and dont move all day Shocked but on some of the bigger waters I might not see another person all day affraid but if i am catching and others around are not, I often let people move into where I am catching, and even give em what I am catching on, and a few pointers on how I was catching, the only exception to this is Competitions Wink On pleasure days and some site days you have the chance to roam about as you want, I as you know, dont move often, more down to fatigue than anything else (i am a lazy git lol! )

admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 am

It comes down to common sense and decency to me Ian,fair enough if you`ve got nobody near you to fish on,sometimes we all have one of those days where we just want to catch but not if it means putting folk out.On the other side, a few years back i fished Allandale Tarn in a strong wind.Well the only daft person to fish into the wind was me and i had countless fish,not all off the same peg but moving up and down about 6 pegs.As i was downwind i could hear the mutterings of some of the struggling anglers but not once did any of them come anywhere near me.Why?Cos they wanted the easier casting and comfort.

westcoaster

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am

I have fished a few competitions like that Andy, great casters until the wind was straight at em then they couldn't get a line out Shocked I learnt how to fly fish on the big reservoirs in Teesdale, so a bit of wind wont put me off very often, If its a case of a fish every few casts then yes if others are about I will move on who wants to bang fish out all day, it is common sense and decency to move on let someone else have a go. If its just the odd fish that comes my way will probs be moving anyway to find a pocket of fish or a better stamp of fish, bag up and go and grab the camera.

I have done it, with a pal he was counting, it was planned on the day for me to bang out as many as I could, only the two of us there, think I got into the 70s before it didn't seem like fun anymore, mind it was all on dry fly's, I actually stopped fishing for a few months afterwards, I just did not enjoy it, it was not stockie bashing either the reservoir was Thornton Steward and I was fishing the dam wall. way back in 1990s, have not done it since and to be honest catching at that rate does nowt for me.

admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:46 pm

i hope your mam is feeling better ian
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by midge tip Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Pleasure/Comp or site day land 5 fish and get out of there to give someone else a chance common sense

Every weekend either sat or sun from oct untill april i have, organise or run a comp then may to oct fish loch style team and individual very frustrating at times as i cant get pleasure angling yes i know that is my choice but deffo know where Ian and Dave are coming from when booking fisheries for site days as we all know that on these site days the purpose is for a social fun gathering layed back easy day to raise a few coppers for the site or a nominated charity so take into consideration 4 values on a site days who loose out ,when members forget to cancel their booking through the website
the 1 organiser time and effort 2 fishery 3 site 4 nominated charity 2,3 and mainly in revenue

RANT OVER

Sorry cant make this one guys as yes you can guess im running a comp best of luck

Please note i,ll be asking Ian /Dave on the full days fishing report as i,ll donate 4 small prizes for the members

jim
midge tip
midge tip

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:27 pm

midge tip wrote:Pleasure/Comp or site day land 5 fish and get out of there to give someone else a chance common sense

Every weekend either sat or sun from oct untill april i have, organise or run a comp then may to oct fish loch style team and individual very frustrating at times as i cant get pleasure angling yes i know that is my choice but deffo know where Ian and Dave are coming from when booking fisheries for site days as we all know that on these site days the purpose is for a social fun gathering layed back easy day to raise a few coppers for the site or a nominated charity so take into consideration 4 values on a site days who loose out ,when members forget to cancel their booking through the website
the 1 organiser time and effort 2 fishery 3 site 4 nominated charity 2,3 and mainly in revenue

RANT OVER

Sorry cant make this one guys as yes you can guess im running a comp best of luck

Please note i,ll be asking Ian /Dave on the full days fishing report as i,ll donate 4 small prizes for the members

jim

Cheers Jim I will try and take notes Shocked (Dave is down at Chester Zoo lol! ) as well as hopefully a few pictures on the day wont be back here till Monday night Wink

admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum