ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

applying dubbing

+7
welly2911
andypandy
admin
middlemast
Defective
david86
noelgarside
11 posters

Go down

applying dubbing Empty applying dubbing

Post by noelgarside Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Mine keeps coming off can someone point towards a good video to show me how it's done
noelgarside
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

applying dubbing Empty Re: applying dubbing

Post by david86 Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 pm

put baby bell wax on thread first Very Happy

david86

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm

not a cheese we buy .... no kids sorry daughter 41 son 40
noelgarside
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by Defective Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 pm

I use bees wax that i got from the local hardware shop. Just rub it on the thread befor applying your dubbing.

Darren
Defective
Defective

Back to top Go down

Post by middlemast Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:16 pm

hi

i dont use any just leave spare thread and overlap then bit duff up never found a trout say your dosnt have wax on or wax off

dAVE

middlemast

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 pm

use a dubbing spinner make loop with thread at bend with spinner at bottom put dubbing in and spin simples

admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.ukgameangler.com

Back to top Go down

Post by andypandy Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 am

What dubbing are you using? and what Thread Noel?
andypandy
andypandy

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 am

UTC thread and Veniards seals sub.
noelgarside
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by andypandy Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Theres your problem mate the seals substitute is Shite. I use proper seals fur or hares ear. It dubs on a dream.
andypandy
andypandy

Back to top Go down

Post by welly2911 Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Noel like andy says the subs not as good as the real stuff but even normal seals fur isn't the easiest dubbing to use for the beginner, hares ear dubs really easily and you won't need wax for it, its like anything else with tying the more you practise something the better you will get so just keep at it mate and you will get there.

Also another way of doing it is by splitting the tread with your nails and putting the dubbing into that before spinning, but that way will take some practise.

Cheers michael

welly2911

Back to top Go down

Post by midge tip Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Noel

If its just basic colours your using or trying for thorax or full body take a pinch of zonker or marabou thats what out team does and its not rocket science instead of fancy stuff no need hope this helps

jim
midge tip
midge tip

Back to top Go down

Post by middlemast Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 am

hi noel

try some egg yarwn brilliant dbbing few strands dont rn it p the thread turn it side ways quick twist of the finger and thumb and it duffs up well

dAVE

middlemast

Back to top Go down

Post by naisreka Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 am

Noel,

Dubbing in principle is simple, in practice can be a pain in the butt.

Wax is there as a tool only as it's only use is to help hold the dubbing material in place until you wind it onto the hook as some materials need some sort of adhesive material to keep it in place, usually shorter or stiffer fibres as they are difficult to form a spiral or twist around the thead which in itself hold the material onto the thread. The easiest to use and most widely available adhesive for dubbing is spit, simply lick your fingers and wet your thread.
The dubbing is held in place by the thread under tension as you wind it on, once wound your adhesive serves no other purpose as the dubbing is trapped in place securely by the turns of thread it is wrapped around. ( There are a few examples where this isn't true, the Waterhen Bloa is one, where the wax has a dual purpose, firstly to change the colour of the thread and to hold in place the mole hair fibres, an example of very short fires that cannot form a spiral to support itself)

In this much Andy is right in blaming the material, however if you think about the priciples i have written here you will be able to work out how you apply the dubbing to the thread to create enoungh trapped fibres to create the effect you want.

to me i'd blame the thread you are using, UTC is a very shiny thread that has no wax in it at all so the difficulty is in adhering the dubbing to the thread at all. If you spin the thread and apply some adherence, i used to just wet it with spit, you'll find it easier to dub.

Another thing that will help is if you roll the dubbing into a ball in the palm of your hand then strtch it out again you will find that it dubs better, the reason for this is that you will break or deform the fibers so the wrap around the hook rather than stay straight. Seals fur sub is fine however won't give you the rough finish you get with real seals fur.

The best tip I can give you is to dump the UTC as a tying thread it is more of a floss, it is great for tying buzzers and other flies that the thread forms proportions of the fly itself but nowt else. It should definitely not be the thread for beginners, I have gone back to using more traditional threads.

UTC became really popular as it lies flat, this property is no good want to tie anything that requires thread position and tension control, for this you can get away with spinning it but it's not ideal. UTC's only strength is that it makes touching turns to make a flat finish easy as it spreads out flat when under tension as does floss. Therefore in buzzer production where the main object is a flat body it makes tying easier.

so my theory around your quandary is throw away the UTC and buy real tying thread, uni is fine, but you will have to practice to get a flat body on a buzzer Wink

naisreka

Back to top Go down

Post by blood Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:19 am

I have heard some folk reccomend pritstick ...not something I have used though

blood

http://bloodyfishing.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by andypandy Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 am

i will be honest i dont seem to need to use wax to dub my flies. i tend to use wax for creating my heads on flies as it stops the thread from slipping.
andypandy
andypandy

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:19 pm

andypandy wrote:i will be honest i dont seem to need to use wax to dub my flies. i tend to use wax for creating my heads on flies as it stops the thread from slipping.
I'll pinch that tip of you Andy
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by andypandy Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:02 pm

good little tip mate. Works a treat also.
andypandy
andypandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down