ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THURSADY 30TH

5 posters

Go down

THURSADY  30TH Empty THURSADY 30TH

Post by middlemast Wed May 29, 2013 8:12 pm

HI

anyone out fishing tomorrow i was going to fish the wild reservoirs but with fresh north winds ill hold on that one

dAVE

middlemast

Back to top Go down

THURSADY  30TH Empty Re: THURSADY 30TH

Post by lee cartmail Wed May 29, 2013 8:15 pm

working dave Sad
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by middlemast Wed May 29, 2013 8:48 pm

HI LEE

WELL WONT BE GOING SMALL I LIKE LOOKING FOR MY FISH WHAT TIME YOU AT DERWENT SUNDAY WITH NOEL LOOKS AS WE ARE FISHING SAT NOT SURE WHERE I NEED NEW CHALLENGE IF WEATHER HOLDS THINK WE WILL MAYBE DO COW GREEN PROPER FISHING WALKING AND FISHING MIND I LIKE BALDERHEAD AS LONG AS I AINT ON MY OWN LOL NORMALY DO A COUPLE OF HRS AT DERWENT ON A SUNDAY MORNING FORCAST LOOKS GOOD

dAVE

middlemast

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail Thu May 30, 2013 7:21 am

About 8:30 my 1st visit
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Lovely day for fishing the wild reservoirs today nice and overcast plenty of breeze to blow the terrestial flies onto the water all you need to do is trip your flies through the wind lanes and you will have the wild brown trout takeing your fly on every cast.
Remember you are fishing in the wildest place in England these fish were born in Teesdale they need food like all of us and you present that fly to them correctly and they will be there.
Your not fishing for them rainbows that have all that fat to live of and dont know what a fly is.
Them wild fish love a minnow so dont think they wont take a lure ive had some really savage pulls when ive fished a Missionary fly on Cow-Green.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by middlemast Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 pm

HI PETER

SADLY THAT FOCAST PUT ME OFF COW GREEN THEY WERE GIVING 20MPH AT LOWER LEVELS COWGREEN THAT MEANS 30MPH I LIKE THE WIND BUT FOR WILD SMALL BROWNS I WANT A RELAXING DAY WALKING AND FISHING NOT DUCKING HARD RAIN AND WIND

dAVE

middlemast

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Ive had some of my best days when its 20 mph winds. You just need to put yer hood up and glasses on for safety.
If yer went to Scotland yer would never get out the car if you dont like a bit of wind.
I met some Beamish regulars one day up Cow Green who said there was not many trees around the banks . Then they complained the wind was far too strong to get a line out.
I laughed to myself because that day Cow-Green had a lovely ripple on it which is usually rare.
No wind at Cow-Green and you are in trouble with the midges.
Stay for the evening rise and the wind dropping and the midges drive you crazy.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail Fri May 31, 2013 5:41 am

[quote="Lochbois"]Lovely day for fishing the wild reservoirs today nice and overcast plenty of breeze to blow the terrestial flies onto the water all you need to do is trip your flies through the wind lanes and you will have the wild brown trout takeing your fly on every cast.
Remember you are fishing in the wildest place in England these fish were born in Teesdale they need food like all of us and you present that fly to them correctly and they will be there.
Your not fishing for them rainbows that have all that fat to live of and dont know what a fly is.
Them wild fish love a minnow so dont think they wont take a lure ive had some really savage pulls when ive fished a Missionary fly on Cow-Green.

For a man who knows so much about every where how come all you do is surf the sofa. You do some
Talking on here but never post your own reports
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Fri May 31, 2013 6:39 am

I cant post me own reports because ive not fished for the last two seasons.
I have fished though since i was a schoolboy catching my first fish which was a brown trout from Billingham Beck which is a tributery of the River Tees.
I have fished Cow- Green from around the late 70s. Ive been a member of Bishop-Auckland Angling Club from about 1984-85.
Ive missed 2012 on BAAC because of finances.
Ive only been able to use a computor since 2008.
I did plenty of fishing reports on the seatroutforum and for my efforts i was barred from two forums.
I will be only too pleased to send you a report . Ive got my 2013 salmon licence and ive renewed my BAAC membership.I dont sit on the sofa all day because for two years now i have a young dog and we are walking around ten miles a day around the Becks and Lanes close to my home.Ive reported before that finances are the main reason i dont venture onto the rivers or stillwaters.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Fri May 31, 2013 8:43 am

middlemast wrote:HI PETER

SADLY THAT FOCAST PUT ME OFF COW GREEN THEY WERE GIVING 20MPH AT LOWER LEVELS COWGREEN THAT MEANS 30MPH I LIKE THE WIND BUT FOR WILD SMALL BROWNS I WANT A RELAXING DAY WALKING AND FISHING NOT DUCKING HARD RAIN AND WIND

dAVE

Good job you did mate- I reckon the 5 inch or so of rain that came down (Possibly more up there) would have made crossing the becks a bit hazardous and made the walking a bit unpleasant.
I've been caught out up there by the weather in late May before- one minute sat with a cuppa and jacket off....within five minutes there was a blizzard that forced us to go home. Its not the sort of place to take chances at all.
Wind hasn't bothered me up there- as if you are prepared to walk then there are always bays where you can get a bit of shelter, or at least get it blowing from left to right (if you are right handed though).

Moving onto Lochbois point about lures on there- I didn't think there were minnows in there, just trout fry and bullheads.
I have tried Ace Of Spades in sizes up to about 8 L/S and American Sculpin patterns and had a few fish.
Nothing massive though- best was about 1.5lb which is still a damn fine fish from there.

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail Fri May 31, 2013 8:47 am

There was no offence meant peter i just surprised how a man who seems so passionate about fishing never does any i oppalagies if i offended u in any way
lee cartmail
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Fri May 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Actually- I stand corrected. Minnows were found in Cow Green in a survey conducted in 2005...albeit in quite low density.

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lochbois Fri May 31, 2013 4:12 pm

I hope i never lose my intrest in fishing.
I did lose the plot in 2002 and its well known ever since ive come onto forums in 2008 because ive always been honest and far too nieve.
Death threats ,ive had a few.lol
When i first started up Cow -Green i was a worm fisherman and didnt know what fly fishing was.
I always ledgered lobworm dug up from the garden i still have the rod and reel but ive actually got myself a new Daiwa Wilderness fly/spin rod that i carry in my rucksack. Cant wait to tell somebody how i got on. Ledgered worm always worked for me.

Lochbois

Back to top Go down

Post by middlemast Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:33 am

hi blacknat
bit like peter ive fished cowgreen on and off since my first time there in 1979
my first visit taught me a lesson about cowgreen 61deg in consett sunny warmarrived to 10 ich of snow baltic i stayed in the car screw that i thought now i tend to fish it from late may to late sept if it hasnt snowed anyone who knows me i love the wind but like you say safty comes first its not the kind of place to get into trouble if your on your own be interested in you flys you use as a point fly up there i have a few size 10 gold head alexanders ive tried mini cats with little interest even in dark cols mini muddlers do well but i even tied a very small dawsons up this i did have fish on i love my montana but i find they tend only to like red in cow green or orange

peter you met people from beamish up there was it not me then cos i realy dont know many from the people that fished there go to cow green sure there would been odd ones but cow green balderhead selset isnt for the pleasure anglers its type of water you have to live and understand fishing but fish it on a warm breezy day and as much as i love derwent and hury they dont come close to cow green

dAVE

middlemast

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:25 am

I usually stick to two flies- a Black Pennel on the dropper and B&P Spider on the point.
As I said - I have tried small Ace Of Spades to decent effect and weighted muddler/sculpin patterns and had fish- not as many as on the small black flies though so I end up back on them.
It would be interesting to set out my stall and stick to the larger fry patterns for a day- especially around the beck mouths and some of the underwater structures like the completely intact sheep pen that sits in about 8ft of water on the far side (saw it in low water a few years back.

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Oh and another angle worth exploring up there would be a long leader and heavy stonefly nymph.
They have to be an important part of the better fishes diet up there.

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:53 am

Went up yesterday- water levels are decent- you can still get onto the rocky foreshores no bother.
Some of the paths have eroded and narrowed though- care needed next to some quite steep drops.
And the fish are taking too!!!

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 pm

My small box of roving flies, as I tend to do a bit of walking up there, my box contains montanas, Red, Orange and Pearl, Ace of Spades, Red Tailed Viva, Appetizers, Stoneflies, and the Snot just to try in the feeder streams Wink One thing which will be with me is a bottle of SSS to keep the Midges at bay Wink along with the 6 weight 10 foot rod, one reel with floating line and a couple of spare spools one midge tip and 1 intermediate as traveling light as possible.

admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.ukgameangler.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackgnat Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:13 pm

F.C. wrote:My small box of roving flies, as I tend to do a bit of walking up there, my box contains montanas, Red, Orange and Pearl, Ace of Spades, Red Tailed Viva, Appetizers, Stoneflies, and the Snot just to try in the feeder streams Wink One thing which will be with me is a bottle of SSS to keep the Midges at bay Wink along with the 6 weight 10 foot rod, one reel with floating line and a couple of spare spools one midge tip and 1 intermediate as traveling light as possible.

Travelling a bit lighter than me Razz - Soldier Palmer, Zulu, Bibio, Mallard & Claret, B&P Spider and Black Pennel were all I took on Sunday.
Saw me right for 4 sized fish and a 'lose' count number of fish under 9" and takes.

Last edited by Blackgnat on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blackgnat

Back to top Go down

Post by middlemast Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:29 pm

hi

alright lads enough ive been talked into working another god knows how many hrs so be sat b4 i get out grassholm or hury and balderhead or selset for a few hrs but cow green is where i wanna be

dAVE

middlemast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum