ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Anyone admit to trying

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by Blackgnat on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am

megaflies wrote:

I know from sea fishing that a spray of WD40 on your lure or bait will attract the fish, i tested it a few times on piers with anglers standing shoulder to shoulder and my catch rate was higher than the guys next to me.


I got told the 'Science' bit about WD40 by a boffin friend a while back.
Its got to do with how it allows the scent of the bait its put on to disperse- not the WD40 itself.
However- I'm a firm believer in using good enough bait in the first place so your don't need to do that.

Blackgnat

Posts : 255
Join date : 2013-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by lee cartmail on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:05 pm

megaflies wrote:i wonder if gink or the likes of frogs fanny give off a scent that the trout like when "dipping" dries

most dry fly additives are silicone based and will leave a small slick like WD40. even powder will be left around the dry as it lands on the water.

I know from sea fishing that a spray of WD40 on your lure or bait will attract the fish, i tested it a few times on piers with anglers standing shoulder to shoulder and my catch rate was higher than the guys next to me.

your putting to much on if it does that or not allowing it to dry 1st
avatar
lee cartmail

Posts : 968
Join date : 2013-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by lee cartmail on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 pm

dipping flies westhouse not allowed
dipping flies lockwood not allowed
darlo anglers club not allowed
darlo brown trout not allowed
gt Ayton anglers not allowed
and ill be asking evey fishery I visit from now on
avatar
lee cartmail

Posts : 968
Join date : 2013-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by admin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 pm

lee cartmail wrote:dipping flies westhouse not allowed
dipping flies lockwood not allowed
darlo anglers club not allowed
darlo brown trout not allowed
gt  Ayton anglers  not allowed
and ill be asking evey fishery I visit from now on

I think you will find it is not allowed anywhere, Lee.

I tried it years ago, long before I was even on the internet, I don't use it, but I know some that do, there choice, I enjoy my fishing too much and would not jeopardize it in any way its just not worth it.


Last edited by F.C. on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1092
Join date : 2012-02-24
Age : 45
Location : Sunny Darlo

http://www.ukgameangler.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by twoaitch on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Dipping?????? Que? Is it a technique or an illicit substance?
avatar
twoaitch

Posts : 98
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 64
Location : Norton

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by admin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

also found this on another fishing forum too:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1092
Join date : 2012-02-24
Age : 45
Location : Sunny Darlo

http://www.ukgameangler.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by Lochbois on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Dapping is a good way of fishing the live Daddy Long Legs .
Hury was a good place for Daddy fishing. I used to walk in the meadow and with a Westerly wind blowing onto the water it was like a hatch of daddies.
Muddlers worked well along with a cul de cunard daddy i used to make that floated like a cork.
Nothing illeagal of course just thought i would say the only thing i dipped the flies in was Richard Walkers Floatant. These days i use Gink.
Theirs another dipping method that is deadly for salmon fishing.Women get it for free,your wife might let you have a drop of the stuff before you go fishing. Take a girl friend with you and if your lucky she might help you catch a fish. Something to do with the Pheromones or somebody moaning.
Haveing a few Flying Condoms in yer box might save the day if yer not catching.

Lochbois

Posts : 362
Join date : 2013-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by Blackgnat on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:25 am

F.C. wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

also found this on another fishing forum too:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hmmmm...I still have my doubts.
From a sea angling point of view if you have to spray your bait then you would be better off making sure its of a good quality in the first place.

Blackgnat

Posts : 255
Join date : 2013-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by megaflies on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 am

the problem with sea fishing, is that the fish are not always there.........1 day there in and the next there not

so any kind of additive or scent that will bring them in is a bonus.

fly fishing the UK coast is very hit and miss and very seasonal, you also have to get the tides right, and keep an eye on weather conditions.

i have used additives (pilchard oil) to put on long cats whiskers when fly fishing for mackerel (works well)
avatar
megaflies
Admin
Admin

Posts : 103
Join date : 2013-01-10
Location : county durham

http://www.troutflies4u.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by Blackgnat on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:44 am

Hi MF
I'm a bit of an all round angler and fish the coast with fly myself.
Not subscribed to scenting my flies- I would fish bait if scent was needed.
You are right though- no two tides are the same and I find that those that ask about it a lot aren't prepared to do the recce and groundwork and thus end up never doing it.
I do know a pollock mark that is consistent though- but this year we have been plagued by dirty water.

Blackgnat

Posts : 255
Join date : 2013-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by megaflies on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:34 am

Blackgnat wrote:Hi MF
I'm a bit of an all round angler and fish the coast with fly myself.
Not subscribed to scenting my flies- I would fish bait if scent was needed.
You are right though- no two tides are the same and I find that those that ask about it a lot aren't prepared to do the recce and groundwork and thus end up never doing it.
I do know a pollock mark that is consistent though- but this year we have been plagued by dirty water.

I have never done fly up here in the NE

would'nt have the foggiest of were to go.

i did hear that 10 miles up the tyne on a spring tide can produce good fish, even cod in the winter

did it loads down south (devon and cornwall) 1st did it back some 16yrs now, got a lot of shitty remarks from feather chuckers....but it stopped once i hooked into mackerel.

i've also had bass, though mostly night fishing after spending 3 days & Nights checking the low and high tides states and also only on spring tides.

Scenting (dipping) flies for sea fish has its advantages of leaving a trail of scent for the fish to follow
avatar
megaflies
Admin
Admin

Posts : 103
Join date : 2013-01-10
Location : county durham

http://www.troutflies4u.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by Blackgnat on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 am

megaflies wrote:
Blackgnat wrote:Hi MF
I'm a bit of an all round angler and fish the coast with fly myself.
Not subscribed to scenting my flies- I would fish bait if scent was needed.
You are right though- no two tides are the same and I find that those that ask about it a lot aren't prepared to do the recce and groundwork and thus end up never doing it.
I do know a pollock mark that is consistent though- but this year we have been plagued by dirty water.

I have never done fly up here in the NE

would'nt have the foggiest of were to go.

i did hear that 10 miles up the tyne on a spring tide can produce good fish, even cod in the winter

did it loads down south (devon and cornwall) 1st did it back some 16yrs now, got a lot of shitty remarks from feather chuckers....but it stopped once i hooked into mackerel.

i've also had bass, though mostly night fishing after spending 3 days & Nights checking the low and high tides states and also only on spring tides.

Scenting (dipping) flies for sea fish has its advantages of leaving a trail of scent for the fish to follow

It depends what species you are after. To be honest there are not that many places to catch mackerel on fly as they tend to be crowded marks...you can hit it lucky when a shoal chases sprats up to the shore though.
Main sport is coalies (billet), pollock and bass- bass probably being the species with most accessible marks. Pollock need deep water- even at low tide so it often means a bit of rock hopping.
The ground and gullies round Craster have a lot of potential.

Blackgnat

Posts : 255
Join date : 2013-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by middlemast on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:24 pm

HI HUTCH

IVE JUST GOT BACK SO ONLY NOW HAVE TIME TO YOUR REPLY ABOUT THINGS BRAKING DOWN IN WATER YOUR WRONG BUDDY TRUST ME HARD AS NAIL MAYBE WATER PROOF BUT SOUNDS SILLY BUT IT BRAKES DOWN IN WATER BUT STILL ADD WE ALL END OF TYINGS WITH SOMETHING OR OTHER OR LIKE SOMEONE ELSE PUT IT DO WE NOW MAKE OUR FLY FLOAT USING SOMETHING OR OTHER OR WHO SAYS THE STUFF YOU USE TO TIE ANY FLY DOST GIVE OF SOME ODOUR OR SOME KIND IVE NEVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF BEEN A FISH TO HAVE THE THE ANSWER TO THIS OOPS CAPS ON SORRY

dAVE

middlemast

Posts : 767
Join date : 2012-05-08
Location : land of prince and kings

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone admit to trying

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum