ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pairs competition 6th May 2013

+4
Toondog
potts123
Hutchy007
Shipman
8 posters

Go down

2013 - Pairs competition 6th May 2013 Empty Pairs competition 6th May 2013

Post by Shipman Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Fished the boat pairs with Jim Tuck. When we arrived there was a few cars already there and they were loading the boats up. We had a bit chat with a few of lads who had been fishing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and had been hammering them. Well I thought this could be tough if they have all be pricked. There was a nice breeze blowing from the top end straight down the lake towards the lodge. We were all given a bacon sandwich and a cup of coffee before we started. We were due to start at 10.00 but every on was fed and watered and ready to go by 9.45, so it was agreed to start early fish till 4pm 12 fish boat limit and 2lb per hour time bonus. Off we went and headed off down the right hand side where we were hitting fish a couple of weeks ago. I got one on our first drift, but I noticed a boat hit a couple at the mouth to the boat moorings. We motored across to go in behind them but on the way there saw a couple of swirls. stopped the boat, set the drogue and started to hit fish. We had 8 in the boat in no time, then I was playing fish number 9 when the top dropper caught in the top ring, fish dived I tried to stop it and snap, top section broke in two, bad angling or what Mad Mad . Still managed to net fish though. The rules said only one rod made up, but a spare could be carried in its tube. Took broken tip off and put a new tip off the other rod on, during this time Jim had got number 10 to the boat. Great back in action, 2 fish to get, we both latched into a fish at the same time and landed them. Jim said to me ''are you sure that's 12 fish'' I tipped the bass bag out into the bottom of the boat as he drove back to the jetty. Yes we had 12 fish and back to weigh in at 10.45 not bad going with 10 1/2 lb bonus weight to add. We gave our fish to Tony who signed our finishing time and we were told we could go back out and fish catch and release.
We went back out and caught a few more fish in the afternoon trying the left hand side down to the bottom and back, with other boats bagging up and returning to the jetty. 4pm came and it was time to go and do the weigh in. We were first to get weighed and we had 31lb something, Hopefully Tony or Linda can post the results and with 10 1/2lb bonus 41lb something. Then Chris Guthrie came to the scales he had a lump of a fish which weighed 11lb, that's us beaten I thought. All the others were weighed in and we had a BBQ while the scores were compiled. Very nice spread put on with a cold beer, just what the doctor ordered.
Then came the results, 5th place, then 4th place, then 3rd place, then 2nd place, then 1st place Jim Tuck & Rob Frame, I heard it but didn't believe it, the time bonus must have made the difference I thought. Hold on Chris was having a word with Tony, he hadn't even made 5th place something was obviously wrong. We had to do a re weigh of our fish and Chris and another pair. Not sure what the final weights were, but it had been decided that only 1lb per hour time bonus was to be allocated not the 2lb as stated. We were either 2nd or 3rd. Big thank you to Tony and Linda for holding the competition and for the food before and after. The fishing was superb, we had another hour or so after the comp finished and ended the day with 45 to the boat with many more dropped or missed.

Note to Tony/Linda, get some new scales, those old ones are rubbish lol! lol! lol!

See you soon.
Shipman
Shipman

Back to top Go down

2013 - Pairs competition 6th May 2013 Empty Re: Pairs competition 6th May 2013

Post by Hutchy007 Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Well done mate, sounds like a cracking day, even though the ending probably tainted it a little Smile
Hutchy007
Hutchy007

Back to top Go down

Post by potts123 Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

welldone rob and jim cracking fishing you must have plenty dynamite lol
potts123
potts123

Back to top Go down

Post by Shipman Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Sweethope is fishing great at the minute, will be even better when they are eventually get onto the dries. Stuffed with fish.
Shipman
Shipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Toondog Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Nice work Rob, shame about the weigh in! I'm itching to get up there again. Missed the place.
Chris.

Toondog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazkat Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm sure it should be on the list for a site day.
Dazkat
Dazkat

Back to top Go down

Post by andypandy Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am

Shame about the end result like mate. Think things should have stayed the same as stated but hey.

Anyway cracking result

Andy
andypandy
andypandy

Back to top Go down

Post by robbie bell Wed May 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi There,

I fished this competition as well with Trevor Wadds as my partner.

We finished at ten minutes past eleven and thought we had done really well until we were told that we were the fourth team to finish!

Mind you we would have been finished quicker if Trevor had not been on Barbless Flies! Very Happy

The afternoon was a bit harder but I caught on buzzers, nymphs and dries so it was very relaxed and pleasant fishing.

Finished the day off with a burger and beer courtesy of Sweethope so it was a grand day out.

Best Regards

robbie

robbie bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Wed May 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Well done lads, sounds like a cracking day, itching to give it a go !
Eric
Eric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down