ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Tapered leaders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tapered leaders

Post by jaykay007 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:04 am

Been thinking of starting to use tapered leaders does anyone on here use them and if so which ones would you recommend, I normaly use flouro straight through in either 4 or 6lb depending where I'm fishing, so tapered leaders with a 8 and 6lb point is what I'm looking for so I can add a Tippett of 4 or 6lb to them.

Cheers John.
jaykay007

Back to top Go down

Re: Tapered leaders

Post by Hutchy007 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 am

No idea mate, dont use them. Noel uses them so id give him a nudge Wink
Hutchy007

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 am

Hi John, I started using tapered leaders last year and I think they,re great, I use Airflo poly leaders and I have a 10ft & 5ft clear floating and a 5ft hover that I use on my slow sink int. Im not a great caster but they have certainly helped with my turnover ! I think they cost £5 99 for 10ft & 3 99 for the 5ft. What I also started using is the tiny silver mini rings, I put one on the end of the tapered leader then add my length of fluro,5 or 6ft onto the 10ftpoly leader, or10ft onto the 5ft poly, meaning I fish with a 15ft leader most of the time, I also tie my dropper onto the mini ring. Using the poly leader and ring combo also means Im only changing a short length of fluro and not a full leader length every time, same with droppers, once they get too small just snip it off the ring and put a new length on, it saves a hell of a lot of fluro over the year as most times we just throw it away, also helps if you get a tangle, means you arent replacing the whole leader. Hope this helps ! it works for me Smile ps if you want to fish 2 droppers,just make the 10ft leader into 2x 5ft lengths joined to another mini ring
Eric

Back to top Go down

Post by jaykay007 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for the advice Eric, I have heard good things re the airflo poly leaders I might give them a go,

Thanks John.
jaykay007

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm

the best tappered leaders imo are the loop end type. my reason being the but end is a bit thick and can leave a big knot and wake on the surface or in the surface film, which can be a nightmare when pulling wets or nymphs. i use viper by lureflash with 2 droppers for fishing spiders on the tees
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ps mate some of the cheap multi pack deals state heavy butt end it really should say car tow rope the size of knot it makes is massive ok if your casting dries but a nightmare if your pulling but that only my opinion mate

Last edited by lee cartmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a bit)
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm

I use the same ones as Lee, without the droppers
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by welly2911 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm

But does this actually make much difference to the ammount of fish yous catch on still waters? Don't have a clue about them so just wondering.

welly2911

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 pm

It aids turnover of the fly Mike that's what they are designed for it's a transfer of the energy from a thick part of the leader to a thinner part .
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24 pm

welly2911 wrote:But does this actually make much difference to the ammount of fish yous catch on still waters? Don't have a clue about them so just wondering.
in a word mate no i only use them for speed on the rivers i have a few set up on pole winders with nymphs spiders and drys all ready tied. so i can just change from wets to dries with out the fuss of tying knots while wading
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Alexander on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 pm

lee cartmail wrote:
welly2911 wrote:But does this actually make much difference to the ammount of fish yous catch on still waters? Don't have a clue about them so just wondering.
in a word mate no i only use them for speed on the rivers i have a few set up on pole winders with nymphs spiders and drys all ready tied. so i can just change from wets to dries with out the fuss of tying knots while wading

Hello, can I ask how you join/connect them Lee, am I right in thinking you use "loop to loop". Only asking because I like this idea.....a bit like having rigs made up ready.

Regards Ian

Ian Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by jaykay007 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:23 pm

I plan on using the straight through leaders without a dropper and use the tiny rings for Tippett and dropper, are the butts of the leaders easy enough to tie a tidy loop in?
jaykay007

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Ian some of them come with a preformed Loop to attach to your fly line and then add a further length of tippet with a 3 or 4 turn water knot.
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by welly2911 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Don't like the extra weight you get off the o rings especially if fishing naturals.

Didn't think it would improve your catch rate lee i get why you use them on river though mate

Michael

welly2911

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Or you could make your own using a 5-7 turn water knot, or loops, just keep it simple.
Leader line 8lb down to 6lb down to 4lb with a 2lb short tippet, me personally I just use Bull Rope right through all the time Shocked

admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.ukgameangler.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:34 pm

when fishing wets spiders and nymphs i use a very small swivel to clip the 2 loops together ian, i copied the idea from the trout magazine last year, i bought some cheap pole winders from boyes,
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi John the thickness of the tapered leader end to tippet is the same as your 4lb or 6lb fluoro or near as dammit will bring some with me on Sunday . Frasers should carry some in stock look to pay £1.25-£1.50 each
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:39 pm

jaykay007 wrote:I plan on using the straight through leaders without a dropper and use the tiny rings for Tippett and dropper, are the butts of the leaders easy enough to tie a tidy loop in?
you can buy them with the loop fitted john
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by lee cartmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 pm

there you go john some with a perfection loop fitted to the butt end
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
lee cartmail

Back to top Go down

Post by jaykay007 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:46 pm

I will see what time I'm done with work tomoro and I might have a shop about.
I'm just fancying a change from using flouro straight through all the time I don't realy have a problem with turn over. Although the better presentation when fishing small drys ect would be nice.
jaykay007

Back to top Go down

Post by jaykay007 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 pm

lee cartmail wrote:there you go john some with a perfection loop fitted to the butt end
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Those look spot on mate, and at £4 odd for 4 seem a bargain.
jaykay007

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Alexander on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 pm

lee cartmail wrote:when fishing wets spiders and nymphs i use a very small swivel to clip the 2 loops together ian, i copied the idea from the trout magazine last year, i bought some cheap pole winders from boyes,

Thanks for that Lee.

Ian Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Nice find Lee
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Alexander on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Ok I have been looking at these tapered leaders and they look great and are pretty cheap.....then I saw some that are more expensive that sink, some that float some that are inbetweenie things and now I'm a bit lost.
In your opinions are they worth the extra cash or should I try the cheaper ones and just use line treatments to get them to float or sink. Sorry for all the questions but I have only realy used a mono leader.

Thanks in advance, Ian.

Ian Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by noelgarside on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:14 am

for now just buy the non sinkers.
noelgarside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down