ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Derwent 20th August

5 posters

Go down

River Derwent 20th August Empty River Derwent 20th August

Post by blood101 Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:57 am

Dont know if anyone still uses this site!! however here's a report from an evening session 20-08-14

Today I had my first and likely last evening session on the river Derwent this year as the nights are starting to put in somewhat already. I might get the odd late afternoon session as the season marches on though

For tonight though it was straight from work at about 5pm , landing at Rowland Gill caravan site car park at something like 6.50.

It had been a pretty changeable day but now it was pretty still and nice sunshine as I got my stuff on for a quick 2 hours or so.

I had the old faithful rusty nymph on the point and a red tag on the dropper.

I crossed the river about 50 yards below the road bridge was walked back up the bank to the weir pool. The water looked as low as it has been for a while. I did have a couple of gentle plucks on this side but nothing more substantial than that , there were a few fish rising in the slack water on the far side. So after fishing right through this side of the pool without anymore success I crossed the river and fished it from the other side actually standing on the weir. More gentle pulls followed as well as a long distance release of what looked like a small grayling in the 5”
range. Shortly after that I hooked and landed a small Grayling of about 4” ; a decent-ish start

Time for a look downstream, at least a few fish were showing here and there , I fished through the nearside of the river where it splits in two but the runs that looked so inviting during normal conditions were running pretty shallow tonight.

Now at the section just upstream of the caravan park, I hooked into another fish again on the rusty nymph... as they all were tonight this on a slight upgrade on the last one and a brownie this time of around 6” It was now about 7pm so I had something like an hour or so of decent light before it would be time to leave.

I fished through the streamy run just adjacent to the caravans but nothing doing here tonight although there was still the odd fish rising here and there.

Into the slower deeper pools now for the last half hour and I managed another 2 brownies one of about 8” and the last and biggest of the evening coming in at around 10”

It was a nice session getting 4 fish to hand in a couple of hours , plenty of other pulls and plucks, it was a beautiful evening especially between seven and eight when the air just seemed to go still.. brilliant

The good old rusty nymph was the fly that was doing the business tonight, the river looks pretty low at the minute , a little bit of rain certainly wouldn’t do any harm....just a little though let not go nuts!!

VASS waders got a run out tonight too.. pleased to report, no leads, fit is nice, well pleased for £30, bargain

Pictures and stuff on my blog for thos interested,

Cheers

Stephen

blood101

http://bloodyfishing.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

River Derwent 20th August Empty Re: River Derwent 20th August

Post by david86 Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Fish it for 2 hour the other night just below caravan park was fishing the fast water tonnes of small grayling

david86

Back to top Go down

Post by bruntroot Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:29 pm

nice report steve....just love it doon the divvy...
bruntroot
bruntroot

Back to top Go down

Post by seddo Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 am

Another cracking report Stephen, I'm sure all anglers appreciated the time and effort you put into your report especially the river fishermen.

As the weather is starting to cool down I'm sure the fishing reports will start to appear on this site more regularly.

seddo

Back to top Go down

Post by blood101 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:46 am

Cheers Seddo, was out yesterday but just had 2 small grayling to hand...lost a doosie of a brownie though looked about 15" grrrr...full report to follow!!

blood101

http://bloodyfishing.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by seddo Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:17 am

Not to worry mate, that Brownie will be 16" the next time your fishing. Smile

seddo

Back to top Go down

Post by appetiser Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 am

Nice to read stephen, 42 views so people are still interested. Just that time of year keep the reports coming .
appetiser
appetiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum