ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Derwent Bassenthwaite

Go down

River Derwent Bassenthwaite  Empty River Derwent Bassenthwaite

Post by Dazkat Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:37 pm

I had a few days at the caravan last week and decided to have a go at the wildies and give the rainbows a miss. I also had my new 5 wt to field test. 
The river was running low for the time of year which made for perfect conditions for me. The stretch is quite small so you have to make the most of the time before the fish are spooked, you need to cover the water and make every cast count. 
The usual set up is a pheasant tail on the point and a spider or dry on the dropper. Standard stuff but it works well. My first fish on the new rod was a nice plump dace. This was followed by a few more and then finally my first brownie. It was not the biggest but great fun on light tackle in fast wTer. 
Along with the brownies I had a good few salmon par which bodes well for the future of the river. 
At the mouth of the river as it leaves the lake I always have a go with my perch/pike setup. I find a orange humongous works well and after a few casts a 2lb jack pike snapped it up. Great fun. I had a fair few perch over the few days, hitting them in groups as they moved around. 
I do enjoy catching all kinds of fish on a fly. Next time maybe the big pike will come out to play.
Dazkat
Dazkat

Back to top Go down