ukgameangler.com | Fly Fishing Forum

Weekend in the Lakes 9th - 11th May

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weekend in the Lakes 9th - 11th May

Post by Eric on Tue May 13, 2014 10:10 am

Not sure where to put this report, but here goes ! Had a great weekend in the Lakes with Daz, Paul and Darren, left home 7pm Friday when my chauffeur for the weekend, Paul, picked me up. We met up with Daz and Darren on the A69 and headed for first venue, Ghyll Head, rained a bit on way there but once there it cleared up and stayed fine for rest of the day  Very Happy  First impressions were good and as the day went on really liked this place, definitely be going back.Started off catching a couple on lures, but most of my fish were taken off the top, they included a 5lb rainbow and a Blue around the 4lb mark, Paul also had 3 cracking fish all around 5lb, Daz and Darren won on quantity over quality though Laughing  both catching plenty fish. After a cracking day it was back to Dazs' static for fish and chips some welcome liquid refreshment and some excellent banter. Where we were lucky with the weather on Friday, Saturday wasn't too clever, it chucked it down through the night and just carried on all day ! Watendlath was the venue and a lovely place it is, but the fishing was challenging because of the wind and rain, but we all caught fish, most of mine on a muddler stripped across the top, although a killer was doing well. Bit worried about Paul in the afternoon as he sat cold and wet muttering something about hypothermia  Shocked but after putting another jumper on he soon bounced back and was into the fish  Laughing Thought we'd lost Darren at one point as he walked through a puddle only to find it was quite a deep hole  Shocked We eventually left for a hot shower and even though the weather was awful we all had fish and enjoyed the day. More food and liquid refreshment ended what had been a tiring day. Sunday was a bit more relaxed with a 4 hour session at Gilcrux, a small lake but plenty fish showing, where Daz showed his local knowledge by continually catching, where I struggled to get 4, a frustrating time missing loads off the top  Mad  although I did manage to catch the only telegraph pole within 100 yds. The only downside was with about an hour to go the heavens opened, so all our dry gear got soaked again. Back to the van for a tidy up and all the gear in the car and headed off, a quick stop at Cocklakes, a possible future venue, a few purchases from the Farm shop, then home. Must thank Daz for the use of his van and all his local knowledge, Darren, for his tea making skills and Paul for driving me all over and as usual keeping us all entertained, even if I did have to put up with his snoring  lol! A great weekend with a great bunch of lads, thanks again  Very Happy 
Eric

Back to top Go down

Re: Weekend in the Lakes 9th - 11th May

Post by Defective on Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm

I can only second what Eric has said, brilliant weekend. 
Ghyll head is a stunning looking fishery.  I caught withinn 15 minutes of starting and picked up fish all day as i moved around the place.
Watendlath was a bit more of a challenge due to the weather.  It rained all day and was fairly windy but still managed 8 fish. 
Gilcrux was worth the visit just to see the hatch of black terrestrail flies.  One minute there was a few fish rising then the flies hit the water and the place errupted.  It was like jacuzzi.  I managed to get a couple in the feeding frenzy of the top to go with the others id caught.
Id like to thank Daz for the use of his van and local knowledge
and Paul and Eric for the really good banter.  Cant wait for the next one later in the year.

Darren
Defective

Back to top Go down

Post by appetiser on Wed May 14, 2014 8:16 pm

cracking weekend , loads of fishing , bit banter and the odd drink , how big is this caravan , Smile Smile 
appetiser

Back to top Go down

Post by admin on Wed May 14, 2014 9:43 pm

appetiser wrote:cracking weekend , loads of fishing , bit banter and the odd drink , how big is this caravan , Smile Smile 

Must be close pals  Shocked   lol! lol! lol! 3 in a bed n all that  What a Face 

Mind I am selling our old one if someone wants a cheap caravan £300 unless I can get someone onto the site we are on then hopefully it will be sold, Or I will be stripping it down n selling the bits on flea bay then scrapping the carcass (anyone looking for a cheap trailer? )

Farmer who owns site we are on, has us by the goolies as he will not let us advertise it ebay etc. otherwise we could get a lot more for it.

admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.ukgameangler.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum